VIENTIANE (20 July 2011) – An early strike from Suchanon Makison was enough to give Thailand the crown in the AFF Under-16 Youth Championship ahead of hosts Laos in the final that was played at the National Stadium.

In front of a sell-out crowd with some reporting that the fans number close to 30,000, Suchanon headed the only goal in the game.

“I’m still not happy even though we won tonight,” said Sasom Probprasert, the chief coach of Thailand.

“The players are just not cool enough especially in defence. We should be better than this and we should improve for the AFC qualifiers in two months.”

In spite of the intermittent rain, Laos came out with all pistons pumping and pressured Thailand right from the start.

But the concession of a free kick just five minutes into the match, saw Chaowat Veerachat floated in a cross to the far post which the waiting Suchanon headed home to silence the crowd.

The game then stepped up a gear higher after that as Laos tried in droves to find the equaliser but in their fervent desire, captain Chittakone Sithanong picked up a second yellow card for an offense on Sitthichok Kannoo in the 18th minute.

Chittakone had earlier picked up his first yellow card in the 13th minute and after being warned by referee Sukhbir Singh of Singapore barely two minutes later, Chittakone committed yet another offense to see him being sent-off for an early shower.

The substitution for the wily Anousay Nyavong in place of Southavone Thammada at the half hour mark, gave Laos more pace at the centre of the park but the Thai defence continued to deny them.

Thailand eased into the second half confident that they have the numerical advantage as they allowed Laos to do all the work as the fans grew all eager that they should not be disappointed on the night after braving the rain.

In the 72nd minute, a cross from Anousay allowed Armisay Kettavong to break away from his markers but with only Thai keeper Apirak Worawong to beat, he blasted his attempt well over the crossbar.

Thailand replied with a double try but both shots from Atthawit Sukchuai and Nattawut Sombatyotha was blocked by Laos custodian Vathana Keoduangdeth.

The last ditch attempt from Laos came right at the end but off a freekick from Thanin Phanthavong, Anousay’s missed the header all together.

The four minute added time failed to give Laos the chance for an excruciatingly close equaliser as Thailand celebrate with FA of Thailand (FAT) general secretary Ong-Arj Kosinkar in the stand .

Source :