Chonburi 3-0 South China (17/03/2011)

Chonburi: Chonburi FC produced a consummate performance to down South China 3-0 in Group H of the AFC Cup at Chonburi PE Stadium.

Natthaphong Samana broke the deadlock in the 27th minute, tapping in a low cross from Ekaphan Inthasen after a clever through ball from Therdsak Chaiman.

Skipper Therdsak proved the driving force behind Chonburi's success and he netted the second goal from the spot with seven minutes remaining before setting up Arthit Sunthornphit to add a third goal in stoppage time.

A packed Chonburi Stadium had onlookers climbing the fence for a glimpse of the action and the Sharks did not disappoint. Chonburi had the lion’s share of chances before Nattaphong’s breakthrough in the first-half.

Both sides employed an aggressive 4-4-2 formation but Chonburi were more successful at finding space on the flanks.

South China midfielder Nicky Butt and forward Mateja Kezman garnered the most of the attention leading up to the showdown on account of their Premier League pedigree but they were stifled by Chonburi’s dogged defence, with Kezman eventually earning a yellow card in the opening period for a reckless tackle borne of frustration.

South China goalkeeper Yapp Hung Fai continued to take risks throughout the first half, coming far off his line twice and getting beaten to the ball both times but Chonburi were unable to make the visitors pay, going in at the break with a narrow lead following Natthaphong's goal just before the half-hour mark.

The introduction of Ney Fabiano early in the second period posed more problems for South China and the hosts almost doubled their lead in the 63rd minute when Adul Lahso lashed a 25-yard drive at Yapp that the South China custodian was unable to hold.

It led to a melee in front of goal as the ball came perilously close to trickling over the line before Chonburi were penalised for a foul.

Fabiano missed from close range in the 68th minute and Therdsak saw a shot saved at the near post as the home side continued to search for the crucial second goal.

It came in the 83rd minute as Therdsak instigated a counter-attack that resulted in Fabiano being felled from behind in the box by Joel Padilha, who was also booked for his trouble.

Therdsak converted from the spot but was forced into a re-take for encroachment by his team-mates. The midfielder made no mistake at the second attempt, however.

There was still time for Therdsak to feed Arthit and he finished from a wide angle to put extra gloss on the final score line in stoppage time .

Source :