Muang Thong sink Thai Port (14/03/2011)

Defending champions Muang Thong United earned their first victory of the season as late goals saw them secure a hard-fought 2-0 victory over Thai Port FC in the Thai Premier League at Yamaha stadium yesterday.

There were also good wins for Chonburi who moved to the top of the table with a 6-0 thrashing of TOT SC and the hotly tipped Buriram PEA who won 2-0 away to Khon Kaen.

Muang Thong were determined to put on a good show for new coach Henrique Calisto and they achieved an important morale-boosting victory although it took them a long time to break down the Port's stubborn defence.

It was one-way traffic throughout the first half as the Kirin piled on the pressure, but Port managed to keep the score at 0-0 at halftime thanks in part to some fine saves by goalkeeper Munze Ulrich.

Port were reduced to 10 men when defender Mongkol Namnuad was sent off for a second yellow card offence, increasing the pressure on the visitors.

Just as it was beginning to look like Port would hold on for a hard-earned point, Muang Thong struck with a fine goal in the 86th minute

Teerasil Dangda crossed from the right and substitute Dagno Siaka struck with a fine overhead kick that gave the keeper no chance, much to the delight of the Kirin fans packed into the stadium.

Shortly afterwards Muang Thong struck again with a goal from Teerasil to clinch the much-needed three points.

Chonburi went on a goal spree when they hosted TOT SC, banging in six past the cellar dwellers. Therdsak Chaiman led the rout for the Sharks with two goals (6th, 33) while also on target were Adul Lasoh (17), Chonlatit Jantakam (21), Kushida (53) and Berlang (55).

Buriram faced a tricky visit to Khon Kaen but goals from Suchao Nutnum (34) and Teerathorn Bunmathan (74) saw them move into third place.

At Thephatsadin stadium, hosts BEC Tero Sasana collected their second win of the season with a 2-0 defeat of Navy FC 2-0, while at the Leo Stadium, Bangkok Glass drew 1-1 against this season's surprise team Army United who hold second place.

In Chonburi, Pattaya United were held to a goalless draw against against Osotspa M-150 Saraburi, while Insee Police United defeated the TTM FC Phichit 1-0.

At Si Nakhon Lumduan stadium, Si Sa Ket FC drew 1-1 with Sri Racha FC while Chiang Rai United drew 0-0 against the SCG Samut Songkhram FC .

Source :