India 1-2 Thailand in second football friendly match (9/09/2010)

In a second half loaded with goals, India went down to Thailand at the Ambedkar Stadium with all the three goals scored by the visitors with one being an own goal.

An early second half striker by Teerathep gave Thailand the lead but India came back from an own goal by Kawin. Keerati, who was impressive throughout in his time on the pitch, scored the winner in the 64th minute.

India named an unchanged starting XI from the game which was played four days back in Bangkok against the same opponents with Bhaichung Bhutia on the bench. Thailand started with Wichaya and Khapfa on the two wings while Keerati and Teerathep forming the strikeforce.

It took just less than two minutes for the visitors to have an attempt on goal with Wichaya playing through Keerati as the latter’s shot was well collected by Subrata Paul.

The Elephants adjusted well to the conditions as they very easily got into their groove of shot, quick passes which saw the Indian midfield go missing from action.

Subrata Paul’s goal-kick was flicked on by Sunil Chhetri towards Mohammed Rafi in the 19th minute who attempted to slot the ball into the far corner but wasn’t successful in doing so.

A long ball from the back into the Indian half saw Keerati chase the ball and have a shy on goal as the alert Subrata Paul was at work again.

The very next minute saw Wichaya’s flag-kick come off the woodwork from a Keerati header as the Indian defence didn’t keep a close eye on the Thai striker.

N.P.Pradeep won a free-kick for the Men in Blue at the edge of the box as Steven Dias’ curler didn’t find the back of the net.

Around the half hour mark, Wichaya’s free-kick bounced right in front of Subrata Paul which made it difficult for him to collect which allowed Thailand to have a shot on goal but the danger was avoided.

The 36th minute saw India’s luck coming handy again as Keerati and Wichaya combined with the latter’s shot coming off the crossbar.

In the final ten minutes of the first session, Thailand had another two shots as Keerati’s effort was saved by Subrata Paul while Natthaphong’s long ranger once again hit the crossbar.

Off a quick counter launched, Teerathep gave his side the lead as he eased past the Indian defence just three minutes after the break after being played from the midfield.

India did come back into the game as a lucky deflection landed at the feet of Anthony Pereira, who by then had occupied a the right wing slot after the substitution of Steven Dias, crossed for Chhetri which was blocked by goalkeeper Kawin. Pradeep’s header off the rebound hit Ponlawat and Kawin before finding the back of the net at the hour mark.

The Thais weren’t going to be tamed so soon as Wichaya’s cross from the left saw skipper Nataporn’s header being stopped by the woodwork yet again with Keerati being around to guide the ball in with his low diving header.

Bhaichung Bhutia made his way into the match for the final 20 minutes so and had an acrobatic attempt which went wide after Pradeep chested the ball for him.

Astonishingly, seven minutes were added on and the most notable moment came in the 95th minute as Bhaichung was brought down by Suttinun as the referee awarded a free-kick which didn’t please the Sikkimese Sniper one bit as he believed that a penalty would have been a fair decision.

The scoreline remained the same until the end as Bryan Robson continued his fantastic work with the Thais while Indian national team would have to improve before the next game against Namibia scheduled on the 15th of this month.

picture: siamsport